Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Slime Mold

Slime mold is something that begins, like a bacterial infection, as an invisible and small cell. Then it multiplies at a fast rate of speed. And before long (within a matter of hours) it can become visible. In fact, if left unchecked it can become deadly. A slime mold begins as a small amoeba and it feeds on bacteria and dead plant life, growing and spreading. A terrific movie could be made about a growing slime mold and how it engulfs a city, one victim at a time. Whatever you do, don't let slime mold get the upper hand in your home. When you see it appearing (typically in a bathroom on a shower curtain or on the walls of the shower), fight it with every chemical and spray you can get your hands on. Don't become the next unfortunate victim of a slime mold. This may sound farfetched, but it's not: In 1857 Cheyenne, Wyoming was engulfed by an uncontrollable slime mold that measured up to fifteen feet high and stretched, at its widest, a quarter of a mile in width. Seventeen townspeople were killed, along with more than twenty herds of horses and cows. Attempts to shoot the mold with pistols and rifles had no effect; in fact, the sulfur in the burn trails of the bullets seemed to lend the mold greater strength. Today the town has rebuit itself, but it has a museum dedicated to its traumatic past.

No comments: